Okay so I’ve been ignoring the blog lately. Why? Let me list the why’s:
- 13 new teachers or other staff members
- all new folks need network logins and email set up
- new webpage program to migrate to
- server reconfig at school
- school resumed
- mentoring fellow LMS at neighboring school
- teachers trade printers like gossip
- former apps folder w/ print drivers no longer available
- everyone wants their printers working
- everyone wants ink cartridge replacements (which the school provides, but I must buy/manage)
- an inheritance of MAP Testing (at least all things technical) and absolutely no experience and very little on the fly training (most of my training is on the job-fly by the seat of my pants)
- MAP Testing, which began Tuesday, Sept 3, and lasts 3 weeks
- all unwanted classroom stuff magically finds its way to the library (b/c I do the asset discard forms, I’m centrally located, and I can store it until–arggg)
- okay, so this list could go on forever…
So such is the life of a “library information specialist” as we have been named this year. Whatever. I answer to most anything, even “hey, you!” And I will survive this. It is just like any other beginning of school–my to do list is never ending, some of it self-induced. I just need to learn that little two letter word “N-O.”
A Hanna Holiday!
Today I am at home–a “Tropical Storm Hanna” induced holiday. Myrtle Beach may get “brushed” by the bands of bad weather, and since it was in the “cone of uncertainty” for Hanna’s path, our school district closed. Some of our schools are shelters for those seeking a safer haven in the event of bad weather. I ran around Thursday afternoon covering workstations in labs and in the library and making sure all were unplugged from walls (TG for surge protector power strips, which meant fewer to unplug.) (Please visualize me Monday crawling on the floor to replug them in preparation for a day of make-up MAP Testing–it’s a cute vision isn’t it? I’m wearing jeans and a t-shirt gosh darn it.)
Work or Play?
So anyway, in my free time at home today i am tweaking the webpage (which i have discovered is not even public yet–grrr all will be outdated before it is launched, and I have spent NO TIME on the old one–which is shockingly and embarrasingly outdated but still very public.) I also did some tending to the blog. I moved from Edublogs to my own domain recently, and decided to let things stay the same for a bit. When I moved, I did not like the way the WordPress theme I am using (k2) handled my custom header. I played at it a while, but decided it was time to make a new one. I made two, which you can see here and here, and displayed below.
So which one do you like and why? And WHY or WHY can’t I get this WordPress theme to display it correctly? I also discovered that the tabs in this theme are not showing up unless you cursor over them–maybe b/c I went white. Black & white gives a simple and clean look, don’t ya think? I think I like it. Too bad my theme doesn’t.